Thabaphaswa offers a great number of climbs at two Main Granite Outcrops:
- KANNIEDOOD CRAG with 15 single climbs and 2 multi -pitch climbs; and
- THABAPHASWA MOUNTAIN WITH THREE CRAGS. There is at this stage one 150 meter multi-pitch on one of these crags but there is the potential to bolt many other climbs on these three crags. Plans are underway for this to be done.
- Pitch 1: ** 23, 22m Starts to the left of the elephant’s trunk. On balance, small holds on a relatively smooth surface. Crux 1/3 of the way up, then straight forward to the top
- Pitch 2: ** 19, 23m Start right to avoid loose slab, then left under the boulder, continue left over dassie shit – worst section on this climb
- Pitch 3: *** 18, 23m Starts from a small cave through which on can see under the elephant to the other side of the rock face. Route moves over to the left past the elephant’s ear.
- Pitch 4: *** 17, 22m Route moves directly up to just short of the top. Pitch 5: ** 15, 10m Short easy finish. There are also some shorter sport climbs bolted at two of the Bush Camps.
The Kanniedood Crag
The easier climbs at Kanniedood crag can be reached by going left as you reach the bottom of the crag.
Go left then right around the corner and up the hill. The climbs are close together on the easy slab on your right as you get to the top of the crag.
- ”Just for fun” *** 11R(1B,C), 12m (25/05/2013)BB: Johan Moelich FA: Johan Moelich Climb straight up to bolt, then right to Loula’s chains.
- ”Loula” **** 11(3B,C), 14m (25/05/2013)BB: Johan Moelich FA: Sjene Smith
- ”Surami” *** 12(3B,C), 14m (25/05/2013)BB: Johan Moelich FA: Sharon Benade
- ”Lekker Likkewaan Top Rope Anchors” 20m (Route can be top roped)(14/10/2018) A lot of potential to bolt new routes by using the top rope anchors, ideal for beginner climbers top roping.
- ”Bloustert Akkedis” *** 12(2B,C), 10m (16/05/2017)BB: Hermien Venter FA: Hermien Venter
- ”Shongololo”*** 14 (Route can be top roped),(1 Bolt & Anchors) 10m, (22/07/2017) BB: Hermien Venter FA: Ruan Snyman
- ”Skoenlapper” 18/15* (6 Bolts + Anchors), 17m (26/03/2016) BB: Thomas Kotlar, FA: Hermien Venter. Route starts at the granite slab, then up the crack, out right and up to the anchors. Use the crack and stay left for 15. Use the face right of the crack for 18.
- ”Super Cool Nifty” – 21 (6 Bolts + Anchors), 17m (26/03/2016) BB: Thomas Kotlar, FA: Thomas Kotlar. Straight up the face of the bulge.
- ”Miena se Muis” – 20 (6 Bolts + Anchors), 17m (26/03/2016) BB: Thomas Kotlar, FA: Thomas Kotlar. Use the crack then over the top to the anchors. (Skoenlapper, Super Cool Nifty and Miena se Muis use the same anchors.)
- “Cracadelic” – 17, 28m (30/06/2018)BB: Neil Margetts, FA: Nadine van Heerden. Route stars on the left of Tripple Town, follow route up through the crack over the bulge. Use anchors of Skoenlapper, Miena se muis & Super Cool Nifty.
- ”Triple Town” *** 17, 27m (11/05/2013)BB: Johan Moelich FA: Sharon Benade (5 meters left of My Big Toe. Starts at the flake under the tree.)
- ”My Big Toe” **** 19, 20m (Brilliant climb)
- ”A Little Grit” 20 – 1 pitch – 4 bolts
- “German Route” 13. July 2015 – Emilia Schönherr und Paul Grotheer, Lina Schneeweiß, Tilmann Hartmann This nice climb starts a few meters to the right of the route “My Big Toe”. There are some run-outs on this route. The route was done by climbing and bolting from the bottom without prior establishing of bolts bias the use of a top rope.
- ”Friday 13th” *** 20, 24m
- ”Dead Ant” *** 21, 19m
- ”Yoga on the Rocks” **** 23, 23m
- ”Boned” **** 21, 23m
- ”Tu-lips” *** 16, 36m Multi Pitch Pitch 1: 16, 16m Pitch 2: 15, 20m
- “Scorpion” *** 19, 3 pitches (2013) Multi Pitch Walk to right hand side of crag. The line of bolts following the off-width crack is Scorpion. The bolt line to the left of the crack is a variation to Scorpion and worth the try. (Variation pitch is a grade 23) Pitch 1: 19, 20m 10 bolts. Belay on big ledge Pitch 2: 16, 30m 5or6 bolts. Belay in big scoop Pitch 3: 10, 35m 2 bolts. Top out (Climb for the view) When Abseiling and you’re using 60 meter ropes, use the chains you pass as you climb pitch 3. The abseil is only 5 meters between the two point but necessary. You will be caught short on a 60 meter rope.
Kanniedood Mountain Hut
- ”Swart Mamba Anchors” *** 17 Starts on the left side of the hut at the open book in the corner. There are 2 seperate anchors is on top of the bolder. Mainly used for youth abseil and top rope.
- ”Pofadder” ** 12, 17m (5 Bolts & Anchors) (22/07/2017) BB: Hermien Venter FA: Nehan Fourie Starts on the right side of the hut on the granite slope. The route moves directly up. Ideal for beginners sport climbing.
Dome Rock at Dome Rock Camp
- ”Whistling in the wind” On the side of the Maroela Unit of the Rock *** 19, 7m
- ”Monkey See Monkey Do” On the side of the Kiepersol Unit of the Rock 15, 5.5m (2 Bolts & Anhors) (13/10/2018) BB: Hermien Venter FA: Jaco Venter.
Special services provided by Hermien Venter
There is a special service available for rock climbers at Thabaphaswa. Hermien Venter knows all the climbs very well, and provides a service as guide and climbing leader for climbers at Thabaphaswa. She can also provide climbing equipment if so required. Hermien’s services can be booked via the contact form or call her at 084 823 8392.
Find the climbing info of Thabaphaswa on the Climb SA wiki.